Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Happy Philosophy

“I never make decisions that angle for advance or grab for money; it’s always about the fun factor, the challenge, the joy of working with people I like and respect.”
-Kristin Chenoweth, A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith In Stages


This quote by Kristin Chenoweth is one that stuck with me after reading her memoir two years ago.  I think it’s a great way to make decisions and I try to follow it.  What choice will make me happiest?  With what choice will I have the most fun?  And in terms of working with people whom I like and respect?  Well, I didn’t leave Journalism for Education because I wanted a pay raise. 

And, you have to understand, I’ve adored Chenoweth since I saw her on the Rosie O’Donnell show in 1999 promoting the musical she was currently starring in on Broadway, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.  Performing the role of “Sally” (Charlie Brown’s little sister), dressed in her curly blonde mop of a wig and pink polka-dot dress, she belted on “My New Philosophy” and I ran out to buy the soundtrack.  (It’s since become one of my go-to, get-happy soundtracks.)

I loved her again in the television show Pushing Daisies, on the soundtrack to the Broadway musical Wicked (which I still need to see) and in Glee.  But her role as a happy inspiration in my life came after reading her book.  (And I HIGHLY recommend you read her book.)  See, Chenoweth looks at life in some of the best ways, like her quote mentioned above.  She laughs at herself, at everything, even when life, well, sucks. 

Below is a video of Chenoweth performing “My New Philosophy” at the 1999 Tony Awards, where she was nominated for and won Best Featured Actress in a Musical.  The song, not included in the original Broadway soundtrack, is “a little piece of genius,” according to Chenoweth.  In her book, Chenoweth had the following to say about the song:
      
    Sally is able to marshal all meaning necessary for living her life into a series of       concise axioms:
                     Oh, yeah?  That’s what YOU think.
                     Why are you telling ME?
                     No!
                     I can’t stand it!

   Give it some thought. I defy you to come up with a life circumstance in which one of these doesn’t come in handy.

I completely agree with that.  Maybe that is why I love the song, and the way Chenoweth performs it so much, because when something in life is grinding your gears, at least of one the above retorts could pretty much take care of the whole situation.  Take a look.  Hopefully the song puts a smile on your face too!



No comments:

Post a Comment