Monday, February 7, 2011

At the Last Second

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Today was such a lousy day.  Besides the fact that I didn't feel well all day and my students talked and made strange noises more than they did work,  I'm now sitting here alone with a headache and a reflection paper draft that is due to tomorrow.  I'm finding it highly unlikely that I will finish this paper tonight and will probably have to rush to finish it during my lunch tomorrow.  As my father would say, "That's life!" (to which I would usually grunt and ask to talk to mom).

I had been thinking about my blog all afternoon.  I really wanted to write another post but was truly struggling to find my happy moment for the day.  I was just about to shut down my computer when I decided that I would check my work email one more time, just in case something interesting had popped up in there.  As luck would have it, something had.

A former student of mine likes to check in periodically and did so today.  Not only is she flourishing in her new school, but she's actually taking some of my book suggestions - as in reading AND liking them!  I recently recommended that she read The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks.  This book is a "young-adult" novel but it's so well written and has such a smart, entertaining plot full of secret societies and girl power that I truly think any female out there (over the age of 13) would enjoy this book.

I was delighted to learn that my former student is loving the book.  It was great to hear her opinion of the characters and story line, so far.  I can't wait for her to keep reading so that I can hear more of what she thinks.  In fact, I think she's inspired me to put my work away for now and read one of my own pleasure-reading books. There's nothing like a great story to make you feel happy and the end of a long, tiring day.

Here's the book she's reading: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

imageviewer.asp.jpg


And this is the book I'm reading: The Secret History of the Pink Carnation

imageviewer.asp.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment